Senior Director, Legal - CommercePrimary Location: Santa Clara, California Additional location(s): Kirkland, Washington; Tempe, Arizona
Location: Proximity to GoDaddy’s office in Santa Clara, CA; Kirkland, WA; or Tempe, AZ preferred.
This position is not eligible to be performed in Alaska, Colorado, Mississippi, North Dakota, or the Virgin Islands.
Join our team ...
GoDaddy, the company that empowers everyday entrepreneurs, seeks an experienced, business-oriented attorney for the position of Senior Director, Legal – Commerce, to serve as the primary legal partner to GoDaddy’s President, Commerce and their leadership team.
The Senior Director, Legal – Commerce must have extensive experience advising on U.S. and international financial/payment services legal, regulatory and compliance matters including, but not limited to, BSA/AML compliance matters, U.S. federal and state MSB registration/licensing matters, compliance with OFAC and other international sanctions regulations, UK FCA and EMI licensing matters, and familiarity with global data privacy, data security regulations and intellectual property matters. The ideal candidate must also: (i) have experience dealing with financial services regulatory agencies who have regulatory authority over GoDaddy’s operations; (ii) have experience advising on the manufacture, distribution, and sale of hardware devices and SaaS products; (iii) have a proven track record of effectively partnering with senior management on matters with enterprise impact; (vi) demonstrate the level of intellect, expertise, and influencing skills to be credible at all levels of the organization and have the ability to adapt and innovate in a changing internal and external landscape; and (v) be comfortable analyzing complex products and services, determining key issues, and translating complicated legal and regulatory considerations into clear and actionable advice.
What you'll get to do...
- Serve as the primary legal partner and trusted advisor to GoDaddy’s President, Commerce and their leadership team, providing leadership on regulatory compliance matters and accurate and timely advice and counsel with assistance from subject matter experts across GoDaddy’s Legal Department as well as assistance from external counsel, as necessary.
- Instruct and manage external counsel within agreed policies and budget.
- Advise on legal and regulatory risks of business decisions and strategic initiatives, and help craft pragmatic solutions that mitigate risk and support growth.
- Work closely with GoDaddy’s Legal Department and GoDaddy’s compliance group to maintain a current understanding of the legal and regulatory landscape including the support and maintenance of legal and regulatory obligations as these apply to the business.
- Advise on legal and regulatory elements of the design, build and execution of Commerce products and services.
- Develop strategy for engaging, and navigate communications with, regulators, in partnership with the compliance group.
- Advise on and draft and negotiate contracts relating to a broad spectrum of commercial transactions, including OEMs, freight forwarders, 3PLs, distributors and business partners.
- Lead legal analysis for new market diligence and entry plans.
- Work closely with business partners and the compliance group to identify, track, and remediate compliance issues.
- Provide training to Legal Department, senior management and relevant staff, as appropriate.
Your experience should include...
- Bachelor’s degree and J.D. required.
The ideal candidate:
- Has solid knowledge of payments industry products, emerging products, regulations and related trends.
- Thrives in a fast-paced and constantly evolving environment.
- Works well in both team and individual settings.
- Effectively leads through ambiguity and drives outcomes.
- Has strong problem-solving skills.
- Anticipates needs and proactively and creatively solves problems and resolves potential areas of conflict.
- Identifies trends and proposes scalable solutions and processes to support accelerated growth.
- Rolls up their sleeves and dives into problems and projects, but also pulls the lens back and thinks strategically.
- Joins forces but is not afraid to challenge others in a diplomatic manner.
- Influences, often without formal decision-making authority, large cross-functional teams with varying priorities, subject matter expertise and levels of experience.
- Strives for continuous improvement.
- Has superior written and verbal communication and presentation skills, including confidence advising executives, and the ability to read audiences and adjust messaging accordingly.
- Cultivates culture of inclusion and trust.
We've got your back... Enjoy our many benefits (My Wallet), including paid time off, 401k, equity grants and parental leave. Join one of our employee resource groups (Culture). Continue to have a side hustle, if you have one (we love entrepreneurs, remember?). Most importantly, come as you are and make your own way.
About us... GoDaddy is empowering everyday entrepreneurs around the world by providing all of the help and tools to succeed online. GoDaddy is the place people come to name their idea, build a professional website, attract customers, sell their products and services, and manage their work. Our mission is to give our customers the tools, insights and the people to transform their ideas and personal initiative into success. To learn more about the company, visit About Us (https://aboutus.godaddy.net/about-us/overview/default.aspx.)
GoDaddy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law. GoDaddy will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with local and federal requirements.
If you need help completing an application for a position with GoDaddy, please reach out to our Recruiting Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GoDaddy doesn’t accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies.Job ID R013673